UGA admits 7,500 students out of 14, 516 in early action. Was your child among them?

High school seniors just admitted under early action to the University of Georgia broke some records: There were more of them, a record 14,516 applications, a nearly 10 percent increase over last year. UGA offered admissions to 7,500 of them.

Why is this dog smiling? Another top-10 list, another accolade for UGA. (AJC Photo)

There are some happy new Georgia bulldogs out there. (AJC Photo)

And their academic credentials were stellar. Their average GPA was 4.11. They took an average of eight honors, International Baccalaureate and Advanced Placement classes. Their average best SAT score for reading and math combined was 1395, compared to 1374 last year. (The state average score was 975.) Their average ACT score increased by one point over last year to reach 31. (The state average score was 21.)

I am hearing about bright students who were not admitted in this first round, including a student with a 3.9 GPA and a 33 on the ACT. (A 36 is a perfect score on the ACT. A score of 33 puts a student in top 1 percent in performance.)

Those students still have a chance in the general admission pool, but it is clear UGA is becoming nearly as tough to get into as Emory or Vanderbilt.

Blame or credit the HOPE Scholarship, depending on how you feel about the increased hurdles on the road to Athens. HOPE continues to entice the state’s most successful high school students to remain in Georgia.

According to UGA:

Prospective first-year students have two application options at UGA: Early action applicants are considered for admission based solely on their grades, the rigor of their high school curriculum and the results of their SAT or ACT scores.

Regular decision applicants are reviewed at a later date, which gives students more time to work on their application and enables them to submit test scores after the early action deadline and to include grades from the first semester of their senior year. The regular decision deadline is Jan. 15, and decisions are typically released in mid-March.

“Students who have been deferred still have a shot at being part of the Class of 2020, and I encourage them to complete the second part of their UGA application to be reconsidered along with the regular decision applicants,” said Patrick Winter, associate vice president for undergraduate admissions and enrollment management.

 

Reader Comments 0

18 comments
Jungles
Jungles

I would disagree that UGA is being used as a safety school. Not sure what pool of applicants you got that information from,

Post-Slant
Post-Slant

@Jungles Even so, it's no slight on UGA. Every school except maybe a few of the top Ivys, Stanford, U of Chicago, etc. is a "safety school" for some students. Just as West Ga and GCSU are "safety schools" for kids hoping to get into UGA. 

Wascatlady
Wascatlady

My youngest applied ED to her top school and was selected. It took a lot of drama out of her senior year in that area, but of course there was plenty of other drama.  Due to my doctoral work and dissertation, she had been involved in the college search in a basic way for over ten years before she was a junior, so I think she was unusually well-prepared to make an early decision.


For some kids, I'd worry that ED is too soon--that they are going off what someone else thinks they should do.

AlphaParent
AlphaParent

The stats on the accepted don't mean much.  College Niche puts UGA's yield rate at 48%.  That means 52 out of every 100 accepted don't end up going to UGA.  And chances are these 52% are the bright applicants who have inflated your admit stats. I am interested to see the SAT/GPA on the enrolled students.  Also, GPAs don't mean anything. Grade inflation permeates every high school in Georgia because of HOPE.  Please follow up with another column on the SAT scores of the enrolled students.

gapeach101
gapeach101

@Wascatlady @AlphaParent

No.  Some private school do that and it's called early acceptance or something like that.  Those students are committed to that school

gg74
gg74

@AlphaParent TOTALLY agree with your comments.  Most of the top students only do ED for leverage for financial aid packages for their real first choice.  Would love to see where the top 50% of the ED students actually attend.


Want to really change the dynamics and make this a fair process - make ED a binding process?  That way only students who really want to go to UGA (and aren't using admission for other purposes) will apply ED and then you have an applicant pool that is more authentic.

Wascatlady
Wascatlady

@gg74 @AlphaParent My younger daughter did that.Applying ED at that (private) college required pulling out of any other admissions request at other schools, if admitted.

50Concept
50Concept

what are the SAT / ACT scores and GPAs for the uga football players that are "admitted" this year???

class80olddog
class80olddog

About 400 points lower. But that is a business

Sbangs
Sbangs

UGA gets more selective every year, but don't kid yourself that it is approaching Vanderbilt (13% acceptance rate) or Emory (27% acceptance rate) in selectivity with its 56% acceptance rate. 

MaureenDowney
MaureenDowney moderator

@Sbangs When you look at GPA and SAT/ACT scores -- which are all that UGA considers in this first round of admissions -- they fall well into the Emory/Vandy range:

From Emory's site


Admitted First-Year Class (25th – 75th percentile)

Average GPA: 3.70 – 3.97 (unweighted)
SAT critical reading: 650-750
SAT math: 670-770
SAT writing: 660-760
SAT total: 2020–2260
ACT: 30-34

Sbangs
Sbangs

@MaureenDowney @Sbangs  Emory's range as you posted above is 1320-1520.  Not sure I would describe 1395 as "well into" that range.  Vandy's range, per their website, is 1490-1600.  No one would describe 1395 as "well into" that range.  I don't mean to disparage UGA, but I don't agree that it is as competitive as Emory or Vandy. I enjoy your column, but we will have to agree to disagree on this point.  Thank you.

MaureenDowney
MaureenDowney moderator

@Sbangs @MaureenDowney I agree on Vandy test scores. But the GPA requirements and the average number of AP/IB courses are similar at all three schools. I also concede the second pool of students accepted into UGA in March -- at which time UGA will consider more than GPA and test scores -- will likely not be as high scoring. These first round acceptances are purely numbers based and they are the highest scorers. 

class80olddog
class80olddog

IB and AP and honors classes are the new de facto tracking method.